(CNN)“My children are not broken,” Amy Wright insists.
‘A new lens’
- Stan Hays, a Grand Champion pitmaster uses his barbecuing skills to feed people in need during disasters through Operation BBQ Relief.
- Samir Lakhani established the Eco-Soap Bank, which recycles used hotel soap for better hygiene and job creation in Cambodia.
- Jennifer Maddox‘s after-school program, Future Ties, provides a safe space for more than 100 children to learn, grow and succeed in Chicago.
- Andrew Manzi‘s nonprofit, Warrior Surf, provides free six-week surf camps for veterans and their families, complete with therapy sessions on the beach.
- Rosie Mashale and the organization Baphumelele provide care for more than 5,000 orphaned, abandoned or sick children in South Africa, many of whom have lost parents to AIDS.
- Leslie Morissette‘s project, Grahamtastic Connection gives computers, iPads and robots to ill kids so they stay connected to friends, family and school.
- Mona Patel created the San Antonio Amputee Foundation, which offers peer support, education, recreation and financial help for people who need prosthetic limbs.
- Khali Sweeney‘s Downtown Boxing Gym Youth Program provides around 100 Detroit children with training and academic tutoring five days a week.
- Aaron Valencia founded the Lost Angels Children’s Project, an after-school program that focuses on classic car restoration.